Sunday, November 28, 2021

Paige Kelley - Maker Case Lamp

 



Reference: For my maker case lamp I wanted to do constellations and a sun and moon in a tarot card style design. For the constellations, I found a website that listed most of the major/famous constellations that I chose to include. For my sun and moon I wanted to use a somewhat geometric, repetitive style and one that was reminiscent of a tarot card, which is why I included the borders.
 


 

Techniques: In Rhino, I started with the constellations first and did small circles for the stars on my inner cut layer, and one actual star shape for the North Star at the end of the little dipper, and connected the cutouts using straight lines on my vector engraving layer. For my outer design for the sun and moon panels, I used rectangles to create the overall shapes before exploding each rectangle, deleting overlapping lines, then combining them all into one shape. The stars on the outer rectangles and the corners were on my inner cut layer, the major lines were on my engraving layer, and the rectangles lining the inside and top/bottom were on my fill layer. The sun was created using circles that grew smaller, with a eye pupil in the middle that was an inner cut, while the suns rays were mirrored around the circle to keep it symmetrical. The moon with the eye was created the same way as the suns circle, but the moon phases were individual circles with manipulated circles in the middle that I exploded then trimmed the overlap on before combining them back together; the circle connecting the moon phases was trimmed using each of the moons.





 
Materials: For the wood I cut out of I got a 2'x2' board of birch plywood. After cutting out the pieces and sanding down some of the edges that didn't cut perfectly, I used acrylic paints to add color to the lamp. I used a navy blue base on all of the panels and used gold on the constellations to help them stand out and used a brighter blue and white, along with the gold again, on the sun and moon to add some brightness to the color pallet.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment