Sunday, November 28, 2021

Zachary Alameri Week 12 Final Project: Pepakura Creature

 

Concept:

For my creature I wanted to create something that would be tall. With this in mind, I began to think about spiders and how their legs branch out far and are fairly long. My initial thought was a daddy long legs, however I wanted the creature to have some lethality to it so I went with a black widow instead. The legs and body of the black widow give the create a nice base to stand and also helps keep the weight toward the back. With the idea of the creature being tall, I wanted to include the neck of an ostrich due to its length. I didn't like the way the ostrich's head fit with the rest of the body, the head was rather small for the long limbs, and I wanted a bulky beak for the creature. The Tucan has an incredibly huge beak that fits the aesthetic of my creature. With elements of all these animals I was able to develop a design for a creature that would scare the lives out of it's prey.


Techniques:

My creature was created in rhino 6. I began with the neck and head to get a good idea of how big the body would have to be. I first began by using the control point curve to make a curved line for the neck to be built of off. Once the line was created I used the pipe command in order to create the neck shape and solid tube for it. The head was created by using the ellipsoid command in order to get an oval shape. Once created and sized I boolean union the neck and head to join the two solids. Eye sockets were made by creating sphere and placing them on each side of the head, once placed I boolean differenced the spheres from the head to get a negative space that represented the eye. The beak of the tucan was mimicked by creating a cone and using the split command to create two halves. I then used the bend command in order to get a the dip in the tucans beak. Once the cones were bent appropriately, I moved them to the front of the face and boolean unioned  the head and beak to finish off the head. I then gave the neck some extra definition by adding a second layering to the neck. I used the same method as I did in the first neck pass and then boolean unioned both neck pieces. The body was created using various ellipsoids joined together. I wanted the web shooter to be distinct in the back so I created a pyramid and used the bend  command to have it tuck under its belly. For the legs, I used the polyline command in order to get stiff and sturdy pipes. Once the line was created I used the pipe command to get the desired thickness. Once the leg was created I copied and pasted the leg six times for each leg. Once the pipes were in place I boolean unioned the leg to the body and boolean unioned everything together. 




Materials:

Since my creature has elements of an ostrich I wanted the look of the final piece to be fuzzy. The neck is made of a cloth material I found on the keyshot cloud library. The body uses a cloth material as well however the fuzz on this material is smaller and allows the body to be textured differently from the neck. The legs were assigned a smooth plastic material in order to help show its stiffness lack of fuzz. I applied a red and black spotted texture to the leg because I wanted to convey the message that the creature is poisonous and deadly, like a black widow. Which is why I also included a design on the back where the red hourglass would normally be. The web shooter is made of a rough grey metal that I made to be not reflective. I wanted the sharpness that comes with metal however I didn't want the web shooter to be shiny when the res of the creature is fairly dull. Seeing as though the ostrich and the spiders can be found in desert and sandy environments, I put the creature in a sandy dune. 





Paragraph 1:

For our group's final creature design we went with Hunter Smitherman's Duckaroo. It is a mixture of a duck and a kangaroo. The group decided on this model for our final because it had a lot of thought put into the models creation. The Duckaroo was created to stand on its two legs and be supported by the tail which helped it stand without outside forces. Not only was the Duckaroo sturdy, but it also had elements that everyone wanted in their creature. The group all used some kind of bird in their creatures and the Duckaroo had elements that were utilized in the other creature models. We also finalized our decision on the Duckaroo because of the assembly method we thought would be ideal. The Duckaroo is a model that can be built separated by its limbs and then later we could piece the finished libs together to achieve the final product. With these ideas in mind, the Duckaroo was the creature that unanimously was chosen to carry out.  







Paragraph 2:

Responsibilities weren't necessarily divided up, our group worked really well together when it came to sending files. Hunter initially cut up the pieces in the pepakura software and sent me the finished file to take into adobe illustrator to add edge IDs. We ran into some issues when it was time for taking the cuts into rhino so I had to go back into pepakura and redistribute/resize sheets and parts. I then took the file into rhino in order to create the dashed lines, and the dash dot lines. Once the file and sheets were ready for laser cutting, I sent the file back to Hunter in order to turn the files into SVGs to use at thelab Makerspace. Hunter and I both went to the lab with the correctly formatted files and got the sheets laser cut. Once all the sheets were cut, we had to go back and use exacto knives to fully remove the pieces from the cardboard. Clay, Hunter, and I met at the lab in order to build, fold, and glue the parts together. Once the limbs were made and the body was in sections, Clay took the Duckaroo for post processing. Clay took care of all the post processing.   



Paragraph 3:

Since I became a fan or rhino over the course of the semester I had no issues getting the file ready for laser formatting.  I volunteered to take care of laser prep and the adobe illustrator process. I took a class on illustrator so being in these two softwares allowed me to work confidently. Once the files were laser ready and we had our finished sheets, there was still a need to cut some pieces out of the cardboard because the laser didn't go through all the way. This step was something I was also comfortably with because of  my past experiences working at a meat shop. Cutting shit slices or cutting precisely is one of my many talents. Folding the cuts didn't give me any issues either however I struggled trying to piece together separate pieces of cardboard together. I felt like I would break the piece before I got it to fit correctly so I stopped trying to force carboard together. Instead during the assembly process I was using the pepakura software in order to organize pieces for my groupmates and assist them when they needed something held, glued, or if they had a question about a piece.   










No comments:

Post a Comment