Sunday, November 28, 2021

Willie Grandison: Week 12 Pepakura Sculpture

 Concept: The concept I was going for on my model was a mix of a dog and a horse. The main body of the model would be the body of a Weiner dog while the head would be that of a horse. The two parts would connect at the neck for a seamless creature. The majority of the heads features would be horse-oriented but I would put some parts of a dog on there to make the blending of the two animals a little less noticeable. The same would be done for the body.


Techniques: for modeling, I decided to do it in Maya to have better control. To start I created a new cylinder shape that I sized up to use for the body. I then duplicated that shape and made it smaller. After shrinking it I used smooth and rounded off the ends. This is the part I used for the tail. Next, I used the curve tool to draw the shape of the head. After drawing the head I extruded along that curve to make my head shape. II then went into the edge editor and closed the edge on the end of the cylinder to form a mouth for the creature.  After making the mouth I then created and scaled-down two coned I sed for ears. I had to scale them slightly to make them less wide and more pointy. Lastly, I created two shares that I used for the eyes. I transformed both spheres so the majority of the object would not be showing.









Materials: In keyshot, I used  Birch Plywood as the material. For the lighting I used the 4k studio lights, I first turned down the brightness, then changed the positioning to give my shadows a better look. For the background, I chose Studio Backdrop for all my orthographic pictures and the kitchen counter backplate for all my shots with a background.



The design we picked for this project was designed by Keyerra. The name of the sculpture is Gorgon. We liked this design because of its relation to Greek mythology, the simplicity of the lower body, and the number of options it gave us when post-processing.

For this project, the responsibilities were dived like so. The first keyerra would finish and complete the model. Then I would do pepakura and laser cutting. finally, Anita would do the post-processing.

For my Role, I first Lowered the polygons of the shape as it was very detailed. This caused the model to misshape so that required some fixing as well. Next, the model was moved to pepakura where I defined all the edges before unrolling it using the software. After finishing that I took it into Adobe illustrator where I made sure each one of the unrolled flaps had a number for when we cut it. After illustrator, I brought it into rhino where I could assign layers and get it ready to be cut















No comments:

Post a Comment