Sunday, November 28, 2021

Tately Diep : Week 12 Final Project Skateboard Deck Laser Engraving


Concept:

Initially, I wanted to create a board design that would've filled the entire board. However, I had to compromise to render my design to a smaller scale to get my engraving as detailed as I had wished so. I was inspired by an old sketch that I had never finished which composes of screaming skulls framed by pieces of spinal bone. I tweaked it slightly to replace the main focal point with a chrysanthemum flower in contrast to a girl. 



Techniques:

I had a lot of difficulties trying to Join my Free-form curves as my design consisted of a mixture of closed and open line segments. However, when creating the 3D model I used the Hatch tool to mimic the parts of my design where I wanted the laser to raster. I also used DupBorder to allow me to ExtrudeCrv and BooleanDiff my skateboard deck. To replicate the holes in the board I created a set of four cylinders and Mirror on the other side and BooleanDiff it again. To create the curves of the board I used the Bend tool.


Materials:

For my post-processing, I sanded down my board and painted in my raster portions with black acrylic. I assigned bold semi-glossy materials in KeyShot to replicate the waxy finish of the colored pencils. I decided to go with colored pencils to color my board as opposed to painting to be more precise and dimensional. 








No comments:

Post a Comment