Monday, November 1, 2021

Santiago Perez-Isaza: Project 3 Makercase Lamp

 



 Concept
            My original references was based off of space travel and I wanted to represent that in a minimalistic and abstract way. Originally I wanted to incorporate some sort of alien writing in the lamp but felt that if I took the alphabet from the Star Wars saga it would be plagiarism so I decided against it. The original concept drawing shows a galaxy in the first panel and that was also removed in the final version due to my limited knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, I couldn't make it the way I envisioned.

Technique
            A lot the project involved extracting curves from hatches such as the more abstract circle shape and the one with multiple triangular shapes. It took some time but found that the "DupBorder" command gave the selected hatches curves on their borders, and then a "PlanarSurf" command to create the inner cuts on the 3D model. For the 3D model itself, to represent some of the vector cuts, I duplicated the curve and made it a surface. With that surface I just had to create a small extrusion and difference it from the larger mesh. To create that abstract stripes shape I made a row of 8 lines in Illustrator and then used a displacement tool to give it the shape and warping in the final image.

Materials
The material assignment in Keyshot was straight forward. I went with the material that best represented it in the real world which would be a light wood. Though if I planned my project differently from the start, I would have created a very dark coating on the wood then have for LED light panels placed directly on the sides and have that be my light source.

No comments:

Post a Comment