Sunday, November 28, 2021

Paige Kelley - Skateboard Engraving

 



Concept: For my skateboard deck design, I wanted to do a striped lighthouse that was cartoony and a similar style of American Traditional tattoos. I sketched a lighthouse in a storm that is similar to a tattoo design I have but decided to simplify it to fit the board better and not get overwhelmingly complicated. In my final design I decided to create a calmer scene with calm water and birds in the sky to keep it more cheerful and serene. 

Technique: For this project I had a design made up in rhino that I was later unable to access and use for my final engraving so I used Adobe Illustrator (another vector based software) to create the final design. I used basic rectangles to build all of the shapes and domed the corners to create the rounded edges on the shadows on the tower, the top of the hat and the door. For the water I used a curvature line tool and for the light lines I used just a basic straight line tool. The highlights of the black stripes on the tower were erased lines in order to keep from overlapping layers which would have just read as a black layer in the laser cutting program. The birds were created with the curvature line tool before using an anchor editor to remove the curvature point in the middle, reverting it to a regular anchor point to make a sharp angle.


 





Materials: For the skateboard I got a 7.5" x 31.5" Canadian maple board to engrave. I used a polish after cutting to make the finish of the board shiny again after cutting and smoothed out some of the filled cuts with sand paper; I chose not to paint or color any of the board or cuts because I think the depth and color contrast of the engravings looks good on its own.















No comments:

Post a Comment