Sunday, November 28, 2021

Andrew Bitar: Week 12 Project 4 Pepakura Creature Sculpture



Concept: For this project I wanted to go for something a bit cute and goofy looking with a hint of fantasy mixed in. I went with a canine of sorts because those are the types of animals I find the most cute. I liked the bobble head design, but I wanted it to a more toned down version of that, so I went a slightly smaller head with a longer neck.



Tech: This model was very straight forward to model. I started with the head and what I did was create a sphere with the sphere tool, then I started to tinker and mold the shape using control points manipulation and Set XYZ Align. The eyes where created through a smaller sphere and bool difference. The front arms and tail where created through a control point curve and then later using the Pipe with the round caps. The thighs where a sphere that I turned into a disk. The tongue was a duplicate of the thigh cut in half. The neck was created through a cylinder and the body was another sphere. Lastly, I formed NURBS to the object and reduced mesh to 350.



Materials: In Keyshot I used glossy black texture for the body. I later added googly eyes in Rhino to add more to the goofy aspect of this sculpture. I used a street with a beach as the background. I adjusted the lighting to fit that environment.

Me, Seok and Nikki chose the Ancient Egyptian Anubis design for our final. It is Seok's design that he came up with. The design is Anubis, but funnily enough we refer to it as Good Boy. Reason why is because it contrasts with the menacing design. For me the reason why I wanted to go with the design is because it felt like revisiting my serial slice project but approaching it in a different way. Another reason is that Seok's model was relatively complex and I felt that it was going to be a nice challenge to assemble it. Lastly, I felt it appropriate because I am Egyptian myself and for me it was more of a heritage thing, which is why I went with what I did for the serial slice project.

I was mostly involved in the assembly and post processing process and relatively involved in every other part of the process. I initially helped edit the model after Seok presented me with the first iteration. More like add this or that, remove this or that. I was not involved on the Pepakura aspect, but helped edit the layout in Rhino after the Pepakura was made, similar to how it was the first editing process. The cardboard had to be cut into size for the laser bed, I wasn't as involved in that process. I only cut out one piece of cardboard to the size we needed an let Nikki do the rest. I didn't do laser cutting, but after it was cut I did bend and even lightly cut the pieces to fit into shape. I assembled the sculpture with some help from Nikki. Lastly, I did all of the post possessing with the sculpture and the base. I spray painted it, added the golden eyes and made a base that fit the theme.

I would say the assembly was the most frustrating thing that I had to deal with. It started out fine and smooth but it quickly turned sour when I had to assemble any piece that had to do with the back of the head of the sculpture. In addition, by the end my eyes and nose started to burn because of the fumes from the Loctite that we used. At the end I ended up using about 5 bottles of Loctite. Lastly, the sculpture started to cave in on its self because it is somewhat top heavy, so I started to use .25 inch thick cardboard on the inside to hold it in. The only positive thing I have to say is that I am incredibly happy how the face ended up.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment