Monday, September 13, 2021

Aidan Jones: Project 1 Maker Case Lamp

    Concept:
    
    When coming up with the basic design of my lamp I didn't want to get bogged down by details and wanted to ensure that I understood the concepts being taught to me so that maybe in the future I could incorporate more detailed concepts into designs. I took inspiration from Berserk and the mark of sacrifice. More specifically, the cover of the deluxe edition of Berserk Volume 1. I saw this as an opportunity to keep my design simple but still add a personalized flair to it as well. I think the simplicity benefits the lamp's design such as this book cover.






The Process:

    I used 4 .25in thick 6in by 4in birch plywood boards with 1 4in by 3.5in board serving as the middle platform for the bulb to be held. For the modeling techniques used first, I created my vectors in Rhino 6. I organized my layers with magenta being outer cuts, inner cuts being the inner cuts such as the bridges by for the bulb, and inserts for the bulb platform. The holes/bridges serve as extra ventilation for the bulb so it may be used for extended periods of time. The mark of sacrifice (front symbol) being on the raster layer (black layer). I decided to use the vector engraving layer (red layer) for a small smiley face comprised of two circles and one curve. The entire product completed its laser cutting in about 10 minutes. 

    For the model itself, first I used Rhino's "extrude curve" command to bring the boards up to .25inch thickness. I also made sure to slightly press in the symbol used on the raster layer as well. 


    For my renderings, I decided to go with a bump map, texture, and spec map, and lighting that best represented the materials I used for the surface applications I used for the physical product. Which was black spray paint and red oil paint. As well as black chalk paint for final touch-ups.










I would also like to mention that through my renders and rhino models I forgot to show the vector engraving as it's shown on the final product. It is however visible in the vector curves.


Materials:

.25in thick birch plywood

black spray paint

red oil paint

black chalk paint

Loctite professional

light bulb

cord and switch

Reflection:

Overall, I am satisfied with my final result and work in this project. One thing I would work on in the future is to try to incorporate my details into my design. I feel I could have added more inner cuts to make the illumination of the lamp more visually interesting. But regardless, it was a really fun experience to participate in this project.





No comments:

Post a Comment