Sunday, September 12, 2021

Kristy Yin: Week 1 Castle

 Concept:

  

    My castle's design draws inspiration from medieval and fantasy castles, but I wanted to add in an element of classical architecture as well. Classical architecture refers to the styles of building derived from ancient Greeks and Romans, it is my favorite style of architecture, so I had to include it. One of the most stand-out features of classical architecture is the columns, I decided to add some simple columns to my medieval castle to give it a more unique look. 


Techniques:

Ghosted
  Edges  
   Layers

        My castle features a number of arches within the castle and the outer wall, I created a curve of an arch, then extruded it and used the boolean difference function to cut through the wall. For the columns, I created a platform on both the top and bottom that extended out from the main structure to frame the cylindrical pillars. The 'arraycurv' command was useful in creating numerous blocked edges on top of the outer wall and top of the castle.  I used the mirror command when I could to save time. I combined solids to achieve the shape of the structure that I wanted.  


Materials:

Standard View
Bird's Eye View
Pedestrian View

        I knew I wanted to go for a more rustic fortified structural look to match an actual medieval castle. I mainly used different types of stone for the castle and surrounding wall. I made the columns marble as a focal point. Although most medieval castles had a more uniform look of one material stone, I didn't want my castle to be all dark, so I added some variations to the different types of stone such as a cracked white stone for the two towers on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment