Sunday, September 12, 2021

Paige Kelley: Week1 Castle

Concept:

    For my castle I wanted to create a traditional castle model based off ones I used to see in children's books, a basic rectangular body with protective walls and towers surrounding it. However, I knew from the beginning that I didn't want to create a basic looking castle with stone or basic architecture materials, I wanted to go more in a Halloween or evil castle direction. 



Modeling Techniques:

     Modeling the castle was fairly simple at the beginning as most of the building was made up of basic geometric shapes: a rectangle for the castle base and surrounding walls, cylinders for the posts, and cones and pyramids for the decor. After doing the basic shapes I began adding details to the castle roof by building up small viewing towers with rectangles and pyramids on top of them, rectangles around the sides as a wall, and a large pyramid in the center. I used the "Wirecut" command to create windows and doorways in the viewing towers as well as the trim around the walls; with "Wirecut" you're able to cut the same shape into multiple objects at once so I was able to create symmetrical cuts on the walls that are parallel to each other. For the posts I added cones on the tops and used "Wirecut" once again to create windows in the towers, cutting the posts on the far corner at the same time to create windows that matched up. The surrounding walls were cut using the same method of wirecutting and I added walkways on the inside of the walls going between posts. The front gate was created using the tube command along an arc line and the posts were just basic rectangles and pyramids with windows cut out.




Materials

    In Keyshot I decided to go for red and black colors to create the Halloween/ evil castle look I had in mind and decided on a black metal and glass to create a shine on the castle. The red parts on the gate, post caps, and castle roof were orange glass to account for the darkness of the castle body and walls which made the glass look darker. The lighting I chose was one that was predominantly dark but was still lit enough to show the castle and the shine of the metal and glass; I wanted to choose a dark, eerie lighting that still showed off the composition of the castle.




No comments:

Post a Comment