Sunday, September 12, 2021

Keyerra Reed - Project 1 - Maker Case Lamp

 



Concept: 

After learning of this assignment and viewing examples it was difficult to decide on an exact ides that I wanted to stick with. Eventually I decided on a design inspired by a game. Over the summer I had acquired a new gaming system, and was immersed in the worlds of each games I was playing. My favorite being The Witcher 3. I ended up contemplating on the icons or symbols that could be pulled from the various imagery included in the game. My mind immediately went to the magic signs that are used in combat. Each sign represents a different spell and color. I thought including the signs would give some variety to my lamp. When thinking of the aesthetic of the lamp, I wanted it to mimic the "Places of power" in The Witcher. Which are areas that, when interacted with, grant the player a skill point. These places are typically ruggedly carved into stone. 





Process: 

My design solely revolved around the symbols seen in the Witcher 3. My intention create balance by placing the larger symbols at the top and the smaller ones towards the center or lower end. I included an arch at the bottom as well as a circle in the middle to add contrast to the angular signs in my design. I tried to keep my idea fairly simple due to me being unfamiliar with the program and laser cutting process. 



Materials:

Super glue was used to assemble the wooden pieces. Next, I used various acrylic paints, coating all areas. I then overlaid the gray on the outside with a stone imitation spray paint. Faux moss and rhinestones were then littered over fake rocks. Each rock was hand sculpted from polymer clay and painted with acrylic paint. I added an assortment of glitter to the raster engravings along the top of the lamp.  




No comments:

Post a Comment