Sunday, September 12, 2021

John Onomo: Week 3 Castle


Concept
The inspiration behind my model is the Belvedere Palace in Vienna, Austria. I took the main features of the building such as the 4 columns that are at the corners and the basis shape of the castle. The palace has an imposing design that I wanted to replicate in my project.
Techniques
I started with a rectangular box to form the lower base of the building. This was followed with the for columns at the corners. For the columns, I drew the lines on the grid add used extrude to bring them out. using hollow upper columns, I placed spheres to act as the domes for them. After that, I extrude the one of the upper boxes sandwiching the middle building. After one half of the building was done, I started doing the detail work on it. First came the roofs of the palace. I made a rectangle to the stem of the box. I offsetted the line to make the top of the roof and planer curves to closed the empty space. Once done, I did the same for the lower boxes, only offsetting towards the outside to form the overhang. the entrance was traced on the wall and extruded out. The real life palace has statues on the building, to mimic them, I used the triangle shape to make spires.

Materials
First , I was looking for colors the match the ones I used on the layers because it reminded me of Italian villas with the red tile roofs and clay, but something else came to made. I am a fan of Greek architecture and the marbles they used for their building so I decided to put the marbles on the walls of the palace. With the marble, I felt like it look more of church feeling so to move back to the castle/palace feel, I put ruby for the material for the roof. To stand out against the whites and and the reds, I made the spires blue tint glass. 





No comments:

Post a Comment