Sunday, September 12, 2021

Winston Huo: Week 1 Castle

Nohrian Castle 1
Nohrian Castle 2
Nohrian Castle 3

Concept - I wanted to model a European style castle as those have very clean lines and tend to be very geometric in nature. The most commonly found objects tended to be rectangular or cylindrical in nature. For the actual castle, I turned to the my castle feature from the game Fire Emblem: Fates. Among the choosable castle designs was the Nohrian castle, based upon European style castles and featured the clean, geometric style that I was looking for

Ghosted
Materials
Edges

Techniques - For the most part, the techniques I used involved a lot of curve extrusions. I would start by drawing out the shapes of the castle wall and then extruding them and using trim to get rid of any overlapping areas. From there, I used boolean union to join the polysurfaces together to get rid of any naked edged. Since the castle is quite symmetrical and has clean breaks in the walls, I used mirror wherever possible to avoid having to redraw objects.

Overview
Bird's Eye View
Pedestrian View

Materials - As far as materials go, it was quite straightforward: cobblestone. Being a medieval European castle, there was a very straightforward choice staring me in the face, and so I used cobblestone for the walls and pillars of the castle. However, in my references there were also blue roof/topper tiles. For those I used a blue tile material and tweaked the reflectivity and roughness to give it the texture I desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment