Sunday, September 12, 2021

Miko Aguon - Week 1 - Spaceship

    Both ideas for a castle and rocket had made me immediately go to a game I liked a lot. It had both a castle AND a rocket that I could use as reference and model after. After a long time of thinking on which one to model, I ended up going for the rocket. It's entirely based off of Fallout 4's Red Rocket gas station, in which the rocket is on top as a decoration. It was simple yet I thought it'd be a nice enough challenge due to the curves and such. I also hoped to include at least a couple of extra references to the game that also have a connection personal to me.



I decided to use cylinders to create a base shape as the rocket is round and curvy. However, the top half curves outward then back in, so in order to mimic this sort of model, I used 2 truncated cones and inverted them at the top. At the tippy top, I used a normal cone to give it it's point. When it came to it's four side rockets (which I named the supports as they helped keep the rocket up in the actual game) I simply use cylinders and cones. 




The hardest part of the whole thing was figuring out how to properly connect the legs to the body of the rocket. At first, I was just gonna rotate a rectangular prism 45 degrees and call it a day, but it didn't look good at all so I ended up just drawing a curved line and extruding it. Once it created a surface, I extruded the surface, making the connection between the legs and body. I used a boolean to make a doorway and used a rectangular prism to lay down the steps to the ship. After doing so, I proceeded to add decals to the ship (just the 69 and the Nuka Cola). I also added a little green guy for fun and scale. I named him Frank. 




This project was really fun and re-creating AND adding my own little touch of life to the Red Rocket spaceship really made me happy. I changed the old plain red smooth boring rocket into a well-put together, steel-reinforced, spaceship of red. 

In case you were wondering, the "69" logo is a reference to a song in the game and on the other side a Nuka Cola advert is placed, although hard to see because I made it small intentionally .

No comments:

Post a Comment