Sunday, September 12, 2021

Carly Kight: Project1 Castle

Concept:

When I was brainstorming ideas for my castle, I was inspired by architectural elements from ancient Roman architecture, but also Islamic architecture as well. One of my favorite parts about the Roman architecture side of things is the grooved columns, so I made those into the structural support. I also really like the aesthetic of the pointed dome of the Taj Mahal. However, I also wanted to put a modern twist on these classical concepts, so I added some geometric elements as well.

Modeling techniques:

It was very challenging for me to complete this assignment because I have never had any experience in any 3-D modeling software (or any design software, really) before this semester. I tried my best to learn to use the different tools and commands. For example, I created a 20-sided-star shape and extruded it to make the shape of a column. I also used the ArrayCrv command to make the rest of the columns. The most challenging technique I used for this project was the Loft command, which I used to make the swirls towards the top of the building. It took a great deal of trial-and-error to get the curve solid shaped the way that I wanted it (Control point curves, many ellipses, adjusting seams, and some other shapes).

Materials:

I wanted to combine the classical marble look of ancient Roman/Greek architecture with a more glamorous, modern aesthetic. So, I created many golden accents, and created the curled forms (towards the top) from glass. I wanted the interior wall (behind the columns) to look opening and inviting, so I made it out of a thin, transparent material that resembles the colors of a bubble.






No comments:

Post a Comment