Sunday, September 12, 2021

Aleyna Enriquez: Week 1 Castle

 Aleyna Enriquez: Week 1 Castle 

Concept:


I asked my boyfriend if he could have any castle to pick from, fiction or non, what would it be?
He said he would want an Irish castle, I never would have guessed. We normally go for Star Wars or Star Trek, but that got me thinking of a more traditional route. when I think of castle think of a princess style fairy tail. However, this is more on the fantasia style castle.

Techniques:


I started with the landscape, with all my research I noticed that they liked to build on hills and high places near the ocean. The next thing I built was the largest rectangle, also named the Keep. The intention was to make it bigger than the rest of the outer parts. I noticed Irish castles have a lip around the keeps and Towers. I wanted the Keep to sand out so it is the only one with the lip. I used the linear array tool to make the repeated design on the edge. I then made the four towers for a symmetrical look that the achieve in a lot of the architecture reference photos. I used the linear array tool to keep things repetitive. I was not happy keeping it so simple so I added the cylinder tower that is referenced in some photos. I added a door obvious purposes, a castle does need an entrance. if I could add or change things after this I would have added more detail, such as: arrow windows, stairs, bridges, outer curtain walls, and more.





I am really sad that it did not turn out as nicely as I wanted. I went for a wood like material in the keep and entrance. The way it rendered wasn't as I expected, but I am learning with trial and error. I really liked the way my towers turned out, the marble texture gives it more of a modern look. I went for a sand look with the hills, next time I will go for a dirt or grass. Next time I will make sure all the added details are on a sperate layer to make the materials different and not the same. I would have liked to make the door a dark metal. I wasn't going for a traditional look, more like modern with the traditional design. Not going to lie, its not the best. I will stand with what I made, be it good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment