Sunday, September 12, 2021

Logan Latham - Project 1 - Maker Case Lamp

 Concept:

Jabba’s palace, specifically, the way it is portrayed in Star Wars Battlefront (2015) and Battlefront II, features holes in the sandstone wall that have a unique pattern that provide light to the palace. I have tried to replicate a similar pattern with my lamp, with the holes, and make the lamp look more geological.


Technique:

I used the website MakerCase.com to create the box template. I then used Rhino 7 to create the details to make it a lamp. The curved line tool was used for the circles. On one side, one of the holes had a raster around it to make an indention. The bottom side has a four-piece circle made with raster engraving and outlined with a vector line. It also features the initials “LL” with a vector engraving line. I converted the file to Rhino 6 before having it laser cut.



After all the pieces were laser cut, I put the holes back into each side of the lamp and taped them in place. This was to try to keep nice edges for the holes. I then covered each side with a thin layer of plaster and used my fingers to texture before it completely dried. Once dried, I painted over the plaster with a mixture of acrylic paint and glue and sprinkled sand on top of it. Before everything completely hardened, I removed the hole cutouts again and sprayed with a sealant to keep the sand from falling out. Then I repeated this process in other places on the lamp to create more depth. However, one side of the lamp remained relatively exposed other than a thin layer of paint to show the different types of laser cuts that being raster and vector engraving. In order to highlight these cuts, I marked them in gold pen.

The bottom side has the circular design which contains cutouts allowing for airflow and a section that used raster engraving effect. 

Added matte acetate sheets to defuse/soften the light.

While there are some areas I would like to have spent more time if time allowed, I feel the final product captures the basic feeling I was striving to achieve.

 


 

 

Materials:

Wood Filament

Plaster of Paris

Acrylic Paint

Sand

Rocks

Gold Pen

Loctite Glue

Matte Acetate

Amber candelabra bulb

Lamp Kit with wiring


No comments:

Post a Comment