Sunday, September 12, 2021

Gail Givens - Project 1 MakerCase Lamp

Concept:

As a big fan of comic books, I was very much inspired to make my lamp design based off of heroes with the ability to glow. I went with Iron Man, not merely due to favoritism on my part, but also due to his iconic glowing "arc reactor" in his chest. I wanted to tie back into both the arc reactor device as well as the Iron Man armor itself. The character Tony Stark is an engineer, so I hoped to emulate that through designs inspired by his own designs. Many straight lines as well as arcs/curves.

Technique:

I worked in Rhino itself to make the design. The base of the box itself was made using MakerCase.com, which was then imported into Rhino. I had pictures up of both the Iron Man armor and Tony Stark's arc reactor as reference images as I made the designs for the engravings and inner cuts. 

Material:

I used 0.195 thick plywood for the main material and as what the laser cutter cut into, then painted the pieces using acrylic paint. After letting it dry, I glued the pieces together using loctite as well as placing construction paper behind the holes to add color, and placed a lightbulb inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment