Sunday, September 12, 2021

Paige Brown: Project 1 Maker Case Lamp

As a preface; I was very new to working with curves and woodworking and I feel like I could have done better so this will largely be an after the fact self critique.



I went through several different patterns but eventually settled on a shamrock design after struggling to create the vectors.
The inner leaflet cutouts are outlined by vector engraving and the stems are rastor engraving.
I was pleased to find out that close fine lines near an edge are possible with the laser but there are places where it may have gotten a little too close. Specifically around the inner point of the leaf is where the engraving tends to lose its definition.


All the work was done within Rhino as I wanted to spend more time getting aquainted with the software.



The box was made out of MDF and assembled with loctite. I made a mistake and the slots the bottom was supposed to fit into were slightly too small so I improvised and cut off the bottom teeth with a miter saw and glued it in place. It's not correct but it serves the purpose. I spray painted the box silver and once dry I installed the socket with a small green bulb.

I probably will not use MDF in the future. The soot from the laser was unbearable and I realized I had to sand the burn marks or the paint wouldn't adhere.

Overall this was a learning experience at best and I'd do a lot differently going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment