Sunday, September 12, 2021

Sebastian Zen Tatum - Assignment 1 Castle


This is my concept of a wildly futuristic and luxurious space station palace. It features gold trim as well one of the most beautiful views of a NASA stock image that any homeowner would die for.

Concept:
For this project I wanted to do something just a little different than a medieval castle or ancient Chinese temple. I started to gather a few reference images to help me get an idea of how to model this using Rhino 7. I was inspired heavily by the modern design of futuristic ships being created with radial symmetry, as well as gravity rings, which this station's is a gold painted alloy. Another pop culture reference I used was STAR WARS' Cloud City.

Execution:
I modelled this using rather basic polysurface techniques in Rhino 7, as for I am not too familiar in this software. I used a heavy amount of extrusions, boolean unions, fillets, and array on curves. Below are photos to show some of the geometry and composition of the space castle.



Assigning Materials:
To make this ghostedship into a good looking model and get a few renders, I had to import the model to Keyshot. Unfortunately, I only had the free trial, so I was unable to do the shot that required me to do ghosted with materials. After having come to terms with the fact I won't be able to get that shot, I started assigning textures. I started off with more sleek, yet subtle color choices, but I decided if I was gonna include the cherry red speedster, I was gonna have to make both the station and ship share similar colors as to not let that beautiful NASA stock image to have all the spotlight.

Finished Product:
The Castle project was rather fun, and a pretty nice way to get acquainted with a piece of software. I usually do that to learn programs without getting a grade for it. I liked that I was able to get such high quality renders by taking screenshot of the software as to avoid the watermarks, but I am upset that I could not get a hold of the paid version, because once I close this Keyshot file it's gone forever.















 

No comments:

Post a Comment