Sunday, September 5, 2021

Hope Sherman - Project 1 - Maker Case Lamp

 

*shadow box = lamp

Concept:

I already have made a box using Maker Case, however I did not print it out nor did I do the project correctly the first time. I decided to just go with a neat idea that I could incorporate what I already own and like into. I went with a Star Wars: The Clone Wars theme shadow box rather than a lamp so I could include one of my random clone figures inside it. The no top design on the piece means I also could switch out the figure inside so maybe if I’m feeling Ahsoka or Obi-Wan can be in The Box they can be as well. The symbols on the box are a clone trooper helmet and the Jedi symbol, with a sentiment to the Galactic Republic on the back. The front is meant to have a light paper covering to mimic a paper lamp.





*ghost view of the original 

Technique:


The box base was made using the website MakerCase.com I brought in 2 images added here to trace them using the curve tool in Rhino 5. I then was able to translate my file over into Rhino 7 and completed the outlining of the work there. It was then time to create the 3D models for the box. I took and extruded the inner and outer cut layers by going to Solid>Extrude Planar Curve>Straight to a depth of .25. After, I took the raster layer and extruded it the same way but this time to a depth of .11. I was able to use the Split Booleans function on the raster and solids part to engrave the 3D surface. Lastly, I did the same thing to the vector layer but instead extruded surfaces instead of solids to create a thick enough line to the rendered model. I used KeyShot 8 to render the piece using a metallic surface but in reality it will just be spray painted that way. 



To physically make the box I first spray painted the individual laser cut pieces with a gold layer to match the render. Unfortunately, I did have to make edits to my model after I rendered it due to some parts being unable to be cut, so the physical version does have some changes. The only one being the Jedi symbol side having a different area cut than before. Below are the changes I had to make as well as the layer window and measurements.




I proceeded to paint individual parts of the lamp sides to be a pale blue to match the paper I got to inline the lamp. I then sacrificed one of my clone figures to be placed inside as a lovely shadow décor piece. I secured him with Loctite then proceeded to move on to putting the fairy lights inside. The light doesn't have a lid on it, but that's okay since I needed it to produce as much light as possible and so I can still see Mr. CT 1031 aka Lamp.





Materials:


¼” 2x4 BC Plywood, matte gold and gloss gold spray paint, blue and white acrylics, a clone wars action figure, blue transparent paper, Loctite, and blue fairy lights. 


Overall I am pleased with how this turned out! It looks very nice on our coffee table.




No comments:

Post a Comment