Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Alyssa Phillips: Week 10 Waffle Structure


Inspiration for design: I wanted to create a structure that was architectural in form, and I actually got inspiration from a future building on UTD campus. It is going to be the Brain Performance Institute and the design is very postmodern; which always attracts my eye. There are only a few renderings of what it will look like when it is completed next year, so I created my own version of a building with wavelike features, that fittingly remind one of brainwaves. 


Technique:  I extruded a simple curve in order to get the building base and then I went about trying to create the wavy pieces that would go along the outside of the building. I finally decided on just creating individual free-form curves of various sizes that would line up to get smaller towards the front of the structure and then come back down to cover the back end. I didn't want them to cover the entire top of the structure, so I ended up trimming the curves in order to just have them hanging off the sides. I only included these wave pieces in the vertical grillage, so that they would stay as single forms/planar surfaces. 




Materials: I wanted to stick with a clean, modern look for my actual structure, so I used thin sheets of clear acrylic for my grillage. For the renderings, I used a light wood material with a basic white for the wave facade and vertical grillage, and then I also created a rendering of the building with a more biological feel to it with a deep red facade and flesh-colored grillage making up the building structure. 







No comments:

Post a Comment