Monday, April 25, 2016

Tara Intyrath: Waffle

Concept: For this project I wanted to go back to the oriental theme as it is my favorite art genre. I also always wanted to make a bust out of something so I decided to go for a geisha design. Geishas are really elegant and beautiful to me with profound features so I thought it was perfect.
Technique: For this model, I used the same techniques for the wolf bust from the previous project. I started by using references from google images to create the curves for half of the bust, created a surface using those curves, copy and mirror that surface, joined the surfaces together, and patched the bottom and created a solid with the surfaces. This was only for the head and the shoulder part of the model though. I wanted the hair to be a whole separate entity that could be removed so didn't have that joined with the head. For the hair it was a much simpler process. I created curves that moved a long the shape of the head how I think the hair would fit and flow and used pipe to make a solid. I even used the torus tool to make the bun on top and then boolean joined all the hair parts together. To make the hair a separate entity and removable I made a boolean difference from the hair using the head without deleting the solid used (the head) and thats how its able to fit so nicely on top. I made the waffle slices using the contour command and used the rib command that was provided for us on blackboard. I originally was going to make the hair the same angle as the head and shoulders but I decided it would look better if the waffles slices were angled instead of flat to show contrast between the two elements.

Materials: For the actual real life model, I used plywood for the head and shoulders and the hair is MDF. In the keyshot renderings I decided to use simple translucent plastics for the hair and head/shoulders but differing colors to again show contrast and differentiate the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment