Sunday, April 10, 2016

Will McKiernan Waffle Structure

For this waffle structure project I wanted to create a form that gave of the feeling of grace and elegance as well as power and authority. I drew some curves in rhino until I developed a form that really resonated with me, one that I felt displayed the attributes I wanted.

I began by simply drawing curves in Rhino until I had the form I saw in my mind. I copied the curved and moved it parallel to the original, then scaled it down. I connected the ends of the curves with the line tool and then copied the whole thing and moved the copy below the original. Then I again connected the corners with the line tool and used Sweep2 to create faces and joined them together in to a closed polysurface. After contouring down the X and Y planes I used the CutMyRibs to slot the model.






Once I had put the structure together I was very pleased with the way it had turned out and pleasantly surprised to discover that it could work in several instances. the way I had originally meant it to be displayed isn't even its strongest placement. It has a very powerful, flowing, natural feel to it and is a structure I could see large scale in a park or over an entry way into a building. 




No comments:

Post a Comment