Thursday, April 28, 2016

Victoria Mayfield: Elephant Engraving



Concept: When I first began brainstorming ideas for my laser engraving I wanted to do something that incorporated my love for modern art. After brainstorming and looking at reference ideas for modern art, I decided I also wanted to incorporate my favorite animal, the elephant! I also decided I wanted there to be contrast in each line stroke within the elephant shape, and with the shapes I wanted to surround my modern elephant. 


Modeling: I used a few modeling techniques to create this design, but mostly it was the curve tool. I was able to use the PictureFrame command to bring in my reference drawing of the elephant with geometric lines all across it. Then use the curve tool to outline the elephant body and the lines inside. I decided I wanted to create contrast within the body by having the interior geometric lines be different depths. This didn’t really pay off because the different depths are not as apparent as I had initially wanted. 


Materials: I used a .25 thick MDF plywood to engrave on. I wanted the piece to have some weight to it, which is why I chose the thicker cut. However, I also liked how the MDF reacts to the laser and leaves a somewhat burnt edge, but not black residue like with lower quality wood. Overall, I am pleased with the outcome. From here, I would like to use water colors to add a pop of color and to emphasize the elephant and the bubbles. I would like to leave the area around my elements bare, and put a lacquer on it to emphasize the wood grain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment