Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Charlotte Guzman-Russell: Wolf Head - Pepakura

Concept: For this project, I wanted to make a mask of an animal head. I think masks are both mysterious as they hide the identity of the wearer yet also reveal some aspect of their personality. In the future, I would be interested in making a variety of masks using different animals, which could be used for an masquerade party or something related.



 Technique: I used Maya to model the mask. I started out with a cube and then added edge loops and extruded faces as went and adjusted edges and vertices until I got the result I wanted. I then cut the model in half and mirrored it across to make the model symmetrical. Then I cut out loops in Pepakura Designer.




Materials: I used a rough black plastic material in Keyshot for the mask and used a warm light for two spheres I used for eyes. For the physical mask, I used eFlute cardboard and then coated it with a layer of black spray paint because it looked incomplete without it. 

Now that I know the process of creation using Pepakura, I would like to redo a few aspects of the mask in the future to make the assembly of the model easier. This would include changing the hole in the mask from the bottom to the back so people of different head shapes can wear it, as well as redoing the layout in pepakura. I would also like to install LEDs into the inside of the mask to give the appearance that the mouth or eyes are glowing.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment