Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Charlotte Guzman-Russell: Slots

Concept: For this project, I wanted to use things that were related to each other ans easily identifiable but very different in shape and silhouette. As such, I chose to use bees and the honeycombs they make. I assembled the slots by starting with the honeycombs as the base and then added the bees. While the structure may look different each time I assemble it, if I follow this pattern it looks like the honeycombs are being rebuilt and swarmed by the bees.




Technique: I found a simple bee silhouette and brought the image into Rhino and traced the outline and added the stripes to make it more distinguishable as a bee (as opposed to a fly) to generate curves. I also made a honeycomb shape in Photoshop and used the same process. I then made a small rectangle and used the split tool to cut out the shapes for the slots on the curves.




Materials: I used the 2-ply cardboard for this project because its easy to work with, inexpensive, and it's warm color and waffle-like inner structure reminds me of honey and beehives. If I were to make this on a larger scale I think it would also look good with a wood or metal material. Though because the subject matter involves a delicate system in nature, I would prefer to use a more natural material or possibly a material that wouldn't be harmful to bees.





No comments:

Post a Comment