Friday, April 29, 2016

Will McKiernan Pepakura

For this project, I wanted to continue with the theme of wolves because I believe the embody the harmony of elegance and power found in nature. I also wanted to create something that could be replicated at a smaller scale to become something like a mask. I also wanted to challenge myself to create something in Maya because I have little skill in that software and felt this would be a very beneficial exercise in that area.


I began modeling in Maya be cutting a sphere into fourths. I used the vertex tool to stretch the faces into the position I wanted them. I also used the extrude edge to add extra geometry to my model. I focused on modeling only one side of the head so that I could mirror the geometry and have a symmetrical model. After I had the basic shape I wanted, I went back through the model and merged vertices where necessary to create loops so that slicing it in the pepakura software would be much easier. Once in pepakura, I sliced along the loops and also down the middle to create identical halves. I removed all edge numbers except the ones essential to knowing which pieces came together.



As with the last pepakura project I thoroughly enjoyed the hands-on putting together of the model. This time I was much more generous with the Loctite and it resulted in a much sturdier build. Some cut lines on some of the faces had not actually been  cut and resulted in a little warping, but overall it came out very well.







No comments:

Post a Comment