Thursday, April 14, 2016

Jung Choi: Waffle Structure Wave


Concept: The concept I had for the waffle structure project was a wave in the ocean. I got the idea from the Japanese painting, The Great Wave Off Kanagawa, when I saw it somewhere the day I started on the project and thought it would look interesting as a waffle structure with it's curvy and wavy lines.

For modeling techniques, I used the interpolate on curve tool to create the wave-like shape I wanted then extruded it in order to create a sold object. Then I created a cylinder and used the boolean difference tool with the solid to create the concave part at the bottom. Then I used the contour tool to create the curves which I used planar surface tool on to get the surfaces. Then I used the cutribs script and the unroll script to get the slots and lay them out for laser cut. I wanted to create diagonal lines with the contour tool to create a more interesting effect, however, this made the cutmyribs script buggy as it gave an error and not cut the slots when there is a two pronged surface that were connected at one part that branched out to 2 different wings. It would cut slots on the bottom wing but not the top wing, so I had to get contour curves using 90 degree angles.

Material: For the actual structure, I used quarter inch cardboard as it was cheaper. For this project, I wanted the structure to have a slight bulkiness to it as waves are nothing to scoff and dangerous if given proper size which made me choose the thicker cardboard. In my opinion, it turned out fine and still kept the shape of a wave and just made it look like a wave of brown water. If I were to make this without price restraints and had more time to procure materials, I would use a bluish glass with a white/grey glass to create a more ocean water-like color that is see through as I did in keyshot.




No comments:

Post a Comment