Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Julio Romero: Waffles








When I was thinking about what I wanted to do for my serial slices project I at first wanted to do a sea turtle, but I decided to go with a shark because it was more cylindrical, which I figured would work better. I decided to go back to that topic for my waffles. I also wanted to figure out how I could get the shell design onto my material.

To make my starting model I got a top and side view of a sea turtle and used them to create profile curves, as well as making other closed curves so that I could use the network surface tool. After that I used the Contour command to get curves going up and down as well as left and right, and then used those curves, along with my two profile curves to create slotted surfaces with the make my ribs script. I brought all of the curves into Illustrator and made the shell and scale patterns with the pen tool and the top view reference image, and finished by using the shape builder tool to separate the curves based on what section they'll be on.

I liked how the shell pattern continued from the different vertical pieces, so I wanted to use clear materials so that light could travel through the model. I used shades of green becuase it was the first color I thought of when I thought of turtles. The different shades also helped to differentiate the scales from each other. I decided to use frosted glass for the shell pattern because the shell seemed like it should be "thicker" and so more opaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment