Monday, April 25, 2016

Tara Intyrath: Pepakura

Concept: For this model I wanted something really organic to challenge myself so I went back to one of my previous models, the wolf, and decided to make a pepakura out of it. The reason I wanted to use an organic model because organic models tend to be asymmetrical. All of my designs previously have been symmetric so I thought it would be a nice change of pace.

Technique: I used a previous model so there wasn't much technique to be used here to create the model itself. The process was fairly simple in that I just imported my model into a new rhino file, turned it from a nurb to a mesh, and then decreased how many faces it had. The shapes did come out a little funky at some parts and to fix that I just got rid of a few lines and shapes editing the mesh itself. The hard part of this process was figuring out where to slice the model in the pepakura program. My poly model is not symmetrical at all and has no loops to go from unlike what was suggested we should do. I liked the style that it had with no loops and the asymmetric look so I kept it. While slicing there were a lot of parts that overlapped one another that I had to re-slice and sometimes that would cause even more overlapping. After many trials of error I finally got it to work out.

Materials:  As recommended, I went with eflute cardboard for the real life model and made it to be above 3ft tall. My model has a lot of triangles so at some points it was really hard to fold and mend together but I got it to work. I can only imagine how much harder it would be if I chose a thicker material. I think if I chose maybe poster board I would of had an easier time. As for my keyshot renderings, I chose metal for my material. As I was making the model, I caught myself thinking a lot that the model would look really good if it was metal plates welded together.

No comments:

Post a Comment