Sunday, April 10, 2016

Will McKiernan Slots

I wanted to design a slot form that could have many variations and be used in many ways. I went with a triangular shape because I felt that it would be sturdy and allowed for a lot of creativity. I was able to incorporate several other geometric forms into my designs as well.

I began by creating a circle and the origin with a point in the center. After cutting the slots into the circle I used ArrayPolar to spread the circles out evenly. Then I created the connecting shapes based on the different variations I wanted and added the inner designs. After placing all the lines on their corresponding layers and grouping the three root variations together I used another polar array to spread them out evenly on my template for cutting.



For some reason the laser cutter did not cut all the way through one of my variations so the inner design does not pop out as it should. I learned a valuable lesson in the “measure twice, cut once” department however as my slots were too big, and did not hold together. However, I am happy with the slots themselves and even though I was not able to create a sculpture I feel that I took away something valuable from this exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment