Monday, April 4, 2016

Rafael Garcia: Slots

Concept: The first thing that came to mind when viewing all the hard edges and lines in our examples was a gundam. The mech style involves a hard line and edge aesthetic. In the actual series the orientation doesn't amtter because they are in space, so slotting them to match in whatever direction would be fine.
Process: I learned from the tutorials that exporting work paths in photoshop to illustrator is the best way to create complex curves (like the shape of a gundam). At first I was worried because I do not have Illustrator on my computer at home, but I didn't even need it. Rhino allowed me to import the .ai file seemlessly and my curve was exactly like the workpath. For the actual slots the rectangle command allowed me to use the recommended measurement of .13 to create the slots. Once placed, the CurveBoolean command created the space for the slot. Rectangle command was used to create a space around the gundam curve. This helped in the array process for spacing. The array command saves quite a bit of time.





Materials: I decide to go with cardboard for this piece due to the easy slot fitting perk of cardboard. I sized to the appropriate .13 as recommended in the tutorial video. I would like to attempt a metal material with rasterized details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment