Thursday, April 14, 2016

Victoria Mayfield: Batman Waffle


Concept: I knew that when I started looking at other waffle ideas that I would need to create something with a very recognizable silhouette. The first thing that came to mind were things like mountains, different animals, or trees. However whenever I would model these things, the waffle structure didn't allow for recognition of what the shape was supposed to be. It wasn't until the weekend when I was going to the movies that I realized: Batman is a recognizable silhouette! I knew I wanted one of the Batman logos to be my waffle design, but it took a few iterations before I decided which one I wanted.



Modeling: The main modeling technique I used was the curve tool. I was able to import reference images using the picture frame tool, and then trace them using the curve tool. Than it was simply a matter of extruding the curve to create the shape that I would create my waffle structure from. I used the Contour tool to create two sets of contours going against each other. I used these contours to make planes that would then become each layer of my waffle. From there, I imported the Cut my Ribs script, and was able to get each layer of the waffle cut properly. Then I imported the Massive unroll script, which allowed me to neatly lay out and number each piece of my waffle.






Materials: I decided to use a 2-ply cardboard to print out this version of my batman waffle just to better see how the waffle would work actually printed. I decided against eflute cardboard because I wanted the piece to have some visual weight to it. In my keyshots, I used a grey, frosted plastic, which is what I would like to use if I was going to print this piece again. I image the piece about 3 times the size of the maquette, with LED lights strung around the back to create a vibrant wall mounted lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment