Friday, December 8, 2023

Daniel Morel ACTM 3355: Extra Credit - Grasshopper Tutorial (Voronoi and Weaverbird)

 

Inspiration

After recently telling a friend about the Japanese art of Kintsugi (repairing broken ceramics with gold), and playing with the Voronoi pattern for the lamp project, I looked into tutorials that seemed like they would let me play with both ideas for some home decor. The first tutorial I found on the YouTube channel "Architutors" goes through the process of creating a Voronoi pattern and using the Weaverbird plug-in. These led to interesting designs but were more along the lines of wall art when I spotted this follow-up video.


Using what I'd learned in class and from the first video, I found it fairly easy to set up and work with as I  went about creating a little stand I could use for my keys and wallet when I got home. While setup went easy, getting the actual model fine-tuned proved to be the hard part as, once baked, the model was a mix of meshes, open, and closed polysurfaces. I ended up deep-diving the documentation to find commands like "SelMesh" and " RemoveAllNakedMicroEdges" to help me get things cleaned up much faster than going through piece by piece. After that a few final adjustments I landed on a I was happy with.



These tutorials not only strengthened my skills in Grasshopper but also helped speed up my overall Rhino workflow with all the new tools I found while troubleshooting things. Not only can I create some cool-looking Voronois but I learned how to make geometry-dense models much easier to work with along with the different selection commands and lots of conversions from one geometry type to another. These new skills and tools will help me get better and better as I continue to use Rhino and design cool stuff for myself and my friends.









No comments:

Post a Comment