Sunday, December 3, 2023

James Malik- ATCM 3355.001 Project 5 : Prosthetic Model

 James Malik


Concept

    I was inspired by those Big Red Boots that went viral recently. The boots are based on the fictional character Astro Boy. He wears these comically large red boots. When they were released they were everywhere. I didn't realize until now that disabled people couldn't wear them. The thought never crossed my mind because I don't deal with those issues. I decided to take these boots and make them available for those who might not even have a leg. This is just an example. This could be carried onto making any character's leg, imagine walking around with Iron Man's leg. There are endless possibilities. Imagine, those who have been held back due to significant injuries, who have been hurt and have to deal with the negative baggage that arrives with missing a ligament. They can feel super, be their own heroes, and feel confident with their prosthetics. 

Sample Idea


Process

    I utilized the tools in Rhino to create the vision I wanted to go with. I started from the ground up. I used shapes that could mimic the shape of the boot. Once I did that I boolean unioned it all together. I didn't stop there, I needed to add the leg that Astro Boy would have. I added the leg and a knee on a ballpoint for swivel and maneuverability. I followed that up with an entrance point on top and adjustable straps for the thigh region. The leg is by itself, the knee is by itself, the cup entrance area is alone, the bolts are isolated and the straps are by themselves in their own layer. 

Ghosted Black

Ghosted with Color

Materials
    
    I tried to stay true to what would be used in real life, I wanted to be practical. The boot is rubber/plastic. The leg area is a plastic material, I played with the settings to where it would have a comic book look. I did the same with the knee, except I turned that into a mesh that would allow it to be more mobile. The entrance point is a softer more malleable plastic that wouldn't irritate the skin. The bolts were metal due to the fact that they looked better visually that way. The straps were a tough one. I wanted to use a fabric but I didn't enjoy the way it looked. I decided to go with velvet/suede. This allowed for there to be 2 colors that would still be comfortable on human skin. If this were real you would be able to have options for the material. 

Render 1
Dynamic Render

I wanted to stay true to the character so I did, I have different colors in both renders for options available. Again, this is just a sample, you could literally have any character's leg; Sonic, Iron Man, SpongeBob.










No comments:

Post a Comment