Sunday, December 3, 2023

Grace Kang - ATCM 3355.001 Project 5: Prosthetic Model

Concept:

The concept for this piece was an eyewear prosthetic that served as a decorative piece and cover for people who have either lost an eye or are facially disfigured. The inspiration behind the design was a masquerade mask that covered the top half of the face. I wanted the design to have a sophisticated aesthetic and a unique look so that the person wearing the prosthetic would be happy to wear it. The “tears” on the bottom represent the various emotions and expressions that our eyes display. 

Ghosted model painted black:

Colored Ghosted model with orthographic drawings:

 

Process:

I used surface shapes such as the tube and the cones to create the outline of the eyewear prosthetic. I used Boolean unions and differences to join the pieces together into the shape I wanted. I used control points to define the length and details. I used a bounding box to define the measurements. This process was pretty fun for me because I was able to be creative and do anything I wanted to do. I think this project allows a lot of creativity and I enjoyed the process.

Close-up image Keyshot Rendering:

Keyshot rendered Image/Arctic model:

Materials:

The materials I used were plastic because I thought that this material showed up the best on the blog posting. In real life, I would’ve preferred the material to be either metal or maybe gem. However, I thought that the gem and glass materials were too transparent for my taste and didn’t show the shape of the prosthetic well. Something I learned from this project is how the prosthetic is supposed to be both functional, but also aesthetic and creative. People who need prosthetics go through much adversity which affects their daily life. Having a prosthetic that not only helps you but is beautiful makes the day that much more bearable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment