Friday, December 1, 2023

Dylan Burt ATCM 3355 Project - Lamp

 

Reference 1


Reference 2

Concept:
I wanted to make something that I would like to use personally, while also making something that I knew others would like, and my first thought was a cozy campfire with little embers coming off of the flame.


Render 1 & Board Layout


Render 2 & Orthographic


Ghosted Painted black

Process:
Exporting the board layout from Elearning onto Rhino, I then used the curve tool in order to trace over the Reference 1 image to replicate the flame design and create a closed curve. I then copied that curve onto all the larger 4 sides and created a 1 inch hole into the base for the light socket to fit, as well as 4 square curves in order to allow for an under glow. I then moved onto Grasshopper and used the PolygonAttractorPoints program in order to replicate a pattern of embers that grow in size as they ascend much like embers in real life, which get brighter before burning out.


Finished Product (Light Off)


Finished Product (Light Off)

Materials:
For Materials I utilized a 24 by 48 by 1/4 inches board of plywood from Lowe's as I get an employee discount. After cutting out the pieces via the laser cutter from the machine shop, I could not find a socket cord, so I substituted for an RGB remote puck light, which allows for color mixing to give the flame color, I then layered the inside with waxing paper which when the light is on, gives it a kind of gradient look.


No comments:

Post a Comment