Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Parametric Hexagon Panel

In exploring parametric Grasshopper tutorials online, I found this interesting tutorial detailing how to create a parametric hexagon panel. The tutorial details how to create entirely within Grasshopper a parametric hexagon panel which can be manipulated in many interesting ways and I found it particularly intriguing as it could be applied to many real-world applications like the following, including examples found in nature. 



Link to Grasshopper Tutorial

In following the tutorial, it wasn't necessarily easy but I was able to follow along pretty well and understand what was happening pretty adequately. In many ways the tutorial built upon many elements I learned from the LinkedIn Learning tutorials so I already knew some knowledge about paneling within Grasshopper. After watching and following along with the tutorial I modeled my own hexagon panel with varying heights to add complexity to the parametric design, as described in the video tutorial. 

The Grasshopper script itself is fairly simple in that it generates a grid of hexagons that can be manipulated in size, extent, etc, and then using cull-list component and flip matrix, it allows the hexagons to not overlap and instead align themselves cleanly up again one another. Lastly, to add complexity, using a random component and construct-domain component, we can randomize the heights of the generated hexagon panel to create the final model design. This design can be further worked with in many ways and utilized in many applications. 

Rhino Model (Ghosted)

Grasshopper Script

Rhino Model (Arctic)

Overall this tutorial further strengthened my Grasshopper skills and deepened my toolbox of knowledge within the software. I now know how to better create parametric designs in Grasshopper, particularly concerning how to construct a parametric design that can be easily manipulated and incorporated into many different applications. In the particular case of this tutorial, I better understand how the series component can be utilized to construct a better and more flexible parametric design. I also learned many new concepts in this tutorial which I anticipate I will further explore and utilize in the future. 

Keyshot Rendering


3-d printed model














No comments:

Post a Comment