Friday, December 8, 2023

Grace Kang ATCM 3355: Architectonic Lamp Project



 

Concept:

The concept I was going for was one of those tinted panes of window art. I was inspired by the night sky with the moon and stars, hence why my project is called “Starry Night”.

Process:

I first went into maker case to pick a template and I chose to do the pentagon shaped lantern. The reason being that I wanted to do something different compared to the rest of the class and to challenge myself. I decided to go with a starry night design because of the difficulty of shapes and trying to work with a script on grasshopper that would let me do that. I used a grasshopper script to create the stars and then used rhino to create the crescent moon shape. The process for this project was lengthy and I struggled a bit to completely understand how to do it. However, I was able to figure out the steps for laser cutting and how to improve my design.

Materials:

The materials I used for the keyshot rendering are oak, and the real material I used for the lamp is quarter of an inch of plywood. Learning about the laser cutting process and how the machine shop takes orders was very informative. I thought it was really interesting that computer modeling also involved laser cutting and not just 3d printing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment