Monday, December 4, 2023

Yvonne Yu Project 5: Prosthetic Model

 

Concept:



For my model, I decided to create a forearm prosthetic. The concept of my prosthetic is a mix of bionic and retro futurism aesthetics. I wanted to utilize the joints often seen in bionic and mecha designs while maintaining the bright fun of retro futurism to create a mix between a forearm accessory and prosthetic.

 

Process:

ghosted black

ghosted layers

I started creating my prosthetic by splitting up the arm model with BooleanDiff. From there, I used cylinders to create most of the prosthetic parts (joints, wrist, and forearm) and Filleted the edges. I used an ellipsoid for the bubbles and egg part of the forearm and BooleanDiff it from the forearm cylinder. I created the little creature using spheres, pipes, and a SubD ellipsoid. I used Torus' and pipes to create the wire tubing near the wrist. For the screws, I used the polygon tool to create heaxgons that I PlanarSrf, OffsetSrf, and the Filleted. I used a truncated pyramind for the sides of the forearm that I also Filleted. For the slightly more complex shapes (star on the back of the hand and pipes at the top of the forearm) I used Interpolate curves to draw the initial shapes, Projected them onto the model, patched or piped the curves, and then OffsetSrf.

Materials:

 
keyshot perspective view

keyshot close-up

keyshot side view

In Keyshot I used a mix of Hard Textured Plastic, Brushed Metal, Clouded Glass, Clouded Plastic, and Water in my model. I adjusted colors of all the materials to be less saturated and fit the color palette (yellow-green, green, and red). I left most of the material at their default settings, but I played around quite a bit with the settings of the clouded plastic material for the egg that encases the little creature. I adjusted the roughness and cloudiness so the bubbles and creature can be seen but still creates a "frozen" looking effect.

With this project, I was able to explore modeling a lot more. While it was a bit overwhelming at first, it was nice being able to model something very different from what I would normally do. It was fun getting to create something outside my comfort zone and figuring out how to maintain my own artistic touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment