Monday, October 9, 2023

Coleman Toups - ATCM 3355.001 Project 2 Flashlight Sleeve


Concept:

    When I began designing my flashlight sleeve, I decided I wanted to make something that looked futuristic yet sleek and simple. I played around with other ideas but ultimately I went with a form factor that not only achieved the look I was going for, but had beefy architecture for increased durability.

 



Process:

I started out with a simple cylinder and hollowed a space for the flash-light with about 3mm of buffer space between the bottom of the cavern and the bottom of the body. I used boolean difference and union to create each repeating aspect of the design, then I used polar array to repeat those patterns across the axis. After a quick test print I went back and separated the base from the body to allow for the insertion of the flashlight, as well as a lip near the top in order to keep the flashlight from falling out. I also added screw holes to the base instead of using glue to allow the flashlight to be removed for battery changing and a button hole to allow operation of the flashlight while inside the sleeve.


Materials:

For the render I decided to give the flashlight a brush metal finish to go along with my vision of a practical futuristic flashlight. I used brushed gold for the base and top accents, a cream colored metallic look for the body, and a rubber grip for the middle. 

    




No comments:

Post a Comment