Monday, October 9, 2023

Manuel Diaz ATCM 3355.001: Project 2 LED Sleeve

Concept:

    For my LED Sleeve, I wanted my model to resemble a Rook from a chess board. I aimed toward make a design that was classy and rustic at the same time. While I would not consider myself a great player, I have always admired the chess pieces that make up the game and the concepts behind their design. For this design to be practical in the real world, I also wanted to create something that was comfortable to handle.


Process: 

I created a base stencil to create the grooves that the model has. In Rhino 7, I was able to use the Revolve function to preview my design until I found something I was content with. From their I added some texture by taking pieces out of my design by using the Boolean Difference function. Here I experimented with a repeating pattern for the handle that would resemble stone layout. I continued to take away from the model at the top to give a bit of character to the sleeve and giving it Rook-like features.





Materials:

Like most chess boards, I would imagine the sleeve to be made from wood which could be stained in both a light and dark colors. Combined with a wooden board, I felt the grainy texture would fit very nicely and more malleable from dents rather that glass pieces. While I can not 3D Print in wood, I can envision using paint or a plastic wrap could make these renderings more realistic.

Final Prints 



No comments:

Post a Comment