Sunday, October 29, 2023

Tately Diep - ATCM 3355.001 Project 3: Surface Population & Serial Slicing

Concept:

Wavy Architecture

Lotus Flower

For my Surface Population project, I was inspired by wave-like architecture. I decided to go for a wave-like donut with a surface populated with a cubelink shape. As for my Serial Slicing project, I was inspired by the idea of a lotus/waterlily sitting on top of a lilypad and decided to create a cute frog sitting inside.

Process:

Surface Population Black Ghosted View
Surface Population Artic View
I made my Surface Population model by beginning with a torus and applying UV manipulation by adding more control points to the solid and then using SelControlPoint to grab specific rows of control points to create a wave-like effect. I decided to leave the model hollow without a skin to give more depth and transparency.

Serial Slice Colored Ghosted View
Serial Slice Arctic View
I made my Serial Slice model by creating three parts: the lilypad, the lotus/water lily, and the frog. I made the lilypad base by beginning with a cylinder and then creating a custom triangle shape with lines, making it a surface with SurfacePlanar, and then extruding the surface to a solid. I then used BooleanDifference to make a cut out of the lilypad and used FilletEdges to give them a softer appearance. For the lotus flower, I manipulated an ellipse shape with the Rebuild tool and gave more control points to get the petal shape that I desired. Afterward, I used the Bend tool to give them a more curved shape and then duplicated them by using the Mirror tool to create a total of 8 petals. Lastly,  the frog sitting inside the flower was created by BooleanUnion multiple spheres and I created the face details by using more spheres and the Pipe tool to make the mouth.

Materials:

Surface Population Render

Serial Slice Render
When rendering in Keyshot, I decided to use a pink plastic material for my Surface Population model that would mimic the actual 3D printed model. As for my Serial Slice model, I used varying green plastic materials for the lilypad and frog but decided to go for a pink glass that was not overly transparent but would give the appearance of a shinier material to contrast the other materials.

Surface Population 3D Print
Overall, I am satisfied with how these projects came out and believe that the final product of the Surface Population 3D print came out relatively similar to the render. I would say the only difference between them would be the internal supports that I decided to print to make sure that the print would not collapse on itself, but regardless, I am satisfied with how it printed the surface texture. I would like to also potentially print my Serial Slice model sometime in the future because I believe that it would have also come out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment