Monday, October 30, 2023

Evan Cohen: Project 3- Serial Slice & Surface Population

Serial Slice

Concept:




For the serial slicing project, I was inspired primarily by topographical and relief maps. For this project, I aimed to design and model a mountain, and using the serial slicing grasshopper definition, I wanted to slice and transform the mountain into what would appear to emulate the topographical images of mountains. 

Process:








I iterated between multiple different models and designs before reaching this final model which I felt best represented a topographical view of a mountain. I modeled the mountain in Rhino by just making essentially a 2D topographical map using control-point curves and then in the perspective window, brought the curves up until I felt the spacing was adequate to loft the curves together to create a smooth model of a mountain. The last step was for me to just connect my Rhino geometry to the serial slicing grasshopper definition and play around with the layer thickness until I was happy with the resolution.

Materials:  

For this project, Considering the concept being natural in theme, I wanted to render my model in a natural stone or marble material. I imagine this model being a cool art piece or sculpture at a museum or park environment. I played around in Keyshot, messing around with the lighting and contrast to capture all the intricate details and the best resolution of the model. 








Surface Population

Concept:



For this project, I wasn't necessarily inspired by a particular product or idea, rather I was simply experimenting with the surface population script in creating texture and intricate detail on surfaces. Ultimately the texture and design I ended up creating inspired me to try and emulate the designs seen on drinking glasses and other such items.

Process:







In order to make this model, I wrote a simple grasshopper definition which created two cylinders, one within the other and then using the solid difference component I was left with the outer walls of the cylinder. I then used a smaller same-size cylinder to serve as the base. I then made a simple star-shaped geometry and then, using the surface population grasshopper script, I projected the shape along the surface of my object. I played around a lot with the extrusion height and U & V components in order to finally reach the desired look that I have now. The last thing I did was fillet the inside edge of the rim and the inside rim at the base within Rhino.

Materials:




Surface Population Model (printed)

Fitting with the idea that potentially this model could be scaled and modified to serve as perhaps drinkware or maybe even an ashtray, I decided to render my model in Keyshot with a material that would be translucent. I ended up rendering my model in a translucent black plastic material since it gave the best overall appearance of black glass without being too transparent and refractory. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment