Sunday, October 8, 2023

Tately Diep - ATCM 3355.001 Project 2 Flashlight Sleeve

Concept:

Animal Crossing Soft Serve Lamp

For this project, I was inspired by the Soft Serve lamp that can be obtained in Animal Crossing. I decided to model my flashlight sleeve after the soft serve swirl and cake cone.

Process:

Black Ghosted Orthographic View

Ghosted Colored View

I made the cake cone portion of the model by using ArrayCrv and ArrayLinear to space out the grid piping of the handle of the cone evenly. I almost Fillet the harsh corners of the sleeve. For the soft serve portion of the model, I created an 8-point star shape and added a curve that I would use the RailRevolve tool to make the ridges for the swirl. Finally, I used the Twist command to give the swirl an extruded ice cream look to it.

Materials:

Rendered View (OFF)
Rendered View (ON)
Final Printed Model

I tried to utilize materials that would reflect the final printed model so I went for a pink shiny transparent plastic for the soft serve top and a matte tan plastic for the cone handle. In my printed model, I used a glossy epoxy to replicate the texture of ice cream. For the cake cone, I used tan acrylic paint to mimic the real texture of the ice cream cone.

Overall, I am satisfied with how this project came out and I think that it looks similar to the render. I did have to add a bit of TLC to the sleeve to make the flashlight fit properly, but the model came out better than anticipated. The only change I would make would be to try a different infill for the soft serve cap of the model as there is a bit of a flaw with the grid at the tip of the cap that makes the soft serve illuminate oddly.

No comments:

Post a Comment