Monday, October 30, 2023

Rickie Jones ATCM 3355: Surface Population and Serial Slicing



Surface Population

Crown Render 1

 Concept:

Crown Reference Image 


Hanging Chain Reference image 

For my design I wanted to make a kings crown by using the surface population technique. My design was inspired by the pointed tops of the crown from the reference image, the pattern indents and the idea that the crown can hang from a chain. Rather than worn.

Process:


Crown ghosted and make 2D

For my process, first I started off by making a torus and modifying the control points. I lifted 4 edges up in a rough idea of what a crown would look like. I made 2 points higher than the other to make it more interesting. After I used another torus as the population object and project that onto the crown torus. Next I added 3 segments and manipulated the spacing of the top crown circles. Lastly I added a base and used surface population on it to make the engraved look. 

Materials:

Crown render 2


3D Printed side view


3D printed 3/4


I printed the castle out of black filament and did not paint it. I used a chain necklace I had to hold the crown. For my rendering I used gold colored metal, black metal for the base and silver/gold for the side design. 



Serial Slicing 

Pyramid render 1


Concept:
Temple Refence Image

Destroyed Temple Reference Image

For my second design, the serial slicing, I wanted to make something that would go with the theme of the crown. Ultimately I decided to make a temple. After starting the temple I realized that it would look like a pyramid by using the serial slicing technique on the model.

Process:



Pyramid ghosted and make 2D

Firstly, I started off by making the basic pyramid with the truncated triangle. Next I made a doorway through both sides. From there I added the details of a destroyed or old temple/pyramid by removing chunks of the model. I mainly used Boolean difference and a variety of shapes. Lastly I used to serial slicing grasshopper tool to add the pyramid look.

Materials:

Pyramid render 2


For my castle I used a sand texture and turned the transparency down to 20. Then I picked a sand color for the temple. 



No comments:

Post a Comment