Monday, October 30, 2023

Daniel Morel ATCM 3355.001 F23: Project 3 - Serial Slicing

 Concept:

                While trying to brainstorm a subject for the serial slicing model, inspiration came by way of an ad with a surfer playing combined with my dog bringing me his alien toy to play with. This led me to the idea of a little alien dude surfing his UFO that I could slice up and turn into something like a kid’s nightlight. Figuring it would be easier to sculpt in ZBrush and then import in for slicing this also became an exercise in working across different software for me as well.

Process:

                I started with my usual sketches to get the basic forms in place before I switched to Zbrush to begin my sculpting. After getting the forms in place and to a level of detail I thought would work with the slicer, I went about getting the sculpture into Maya. In Maya, I box-modeled some clothes and did a retopo on everything so I could export the file into Rhino to begin the slicing process. Getting the piece to that point went fairly easy and didn’t really require anything more than using the grasshopper script and, some booleans for the light cutout.




Materials:

                I printed my surfer in White PLA so that the tea light would have a nice glow through the cockpit and allow it to work better as a nightlight. The print remains unpainted but for the render, I added some basic colors that help differentiate its different parts and should help keep the light coming from the cockpit mostly. 








No comments:

Post a Comment