Friday, October 27, 2023

Ketsamone Thanoulith - ATCM 3355.001 Project 3 Serial Slicing/Surface Population


Concept: The inspiration for this project came from forms found in nature. I was most interested in plants such as cacti. I had to determine whether I'd make the edges sharp and pointy or bumpy. I looked at references such as barrel cacti and moon cacti. Their defining characteristics also include a flower on top. I decided to go for a bumpy or stone look that seems more natural and subtle. 

Process: I did most of my work in Grasshopper. I created a custom definition to make a polygonal and rocky surface population. I started out with some curves and surfaces I made in Rhino and lofted them into the shape of a small vase and a cactus. For the cactus, I used star shapes and filleted them before adding them to the grasshopper. I made the flower on top just by using regular primitives to fit the design of the cactus and to balance out the design by adding something with a round shape. I decided to print the vase and cactus as two separate parts I'd connect at the end.







Materials: I used gemstones and granite in order to enhance the details and make them more noticable in the final render, but ceramic or shiny plastic would also work well to show surface population. 









 








No comments:

Post a Comment