Monday, October 2, 2023

Evan Cohen ATCM 3355.001: Project 2 LED sleeve


Project Brief

Context:

For this project, I really wanted to create a design that incorporated unique geometry and angles and had design features reminiscent of perhaps a lightsaber from Star Wars or some other futuristic weapon or gadget. Other influences in my design came from past works from this class including several examples shown in class.

Process:

This project was a lot of fun for me but took a lot of effort but overall I am extremely satisfied with the end result. I employed many different techniques I have learned so far to create this model. Firstly, I began by utilizing the template model provided to extract the base curve profile of the LED flashlight. Next, I manipulated this curve from a 2D perspective, and once satisfied with my profile, I used the revolve command to bring it into solid form. I then switched to Grasshopper where I wrote a lengthy definition that made the rectangular features that surround the circumference of the overall sleeve. Lastly, I wrote several smaller grasshopper definitions to quickly draw pipes around the sleeve, and then with the solid model coming together, I used a boolean union to join all parts that were overlapping. Lastly, I made final adjustments and filleted all edges to sculpt my final design. 

Materials:

Going with the theme of futurism, high-tech, etc., I felt it was fitting to render my model in solid carbon fiber as the material firstly looks very cool and sleek but also represents cutting-edge technology and innovation which is what my model aims to represent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment